Thursday, August 23, 2012

Occupy Wall Street Interrupts President Obama

Occupy Wall Street protesters interrupted President Barack Obama on Tuesday during a speech in Manchester, N.H. where the president was urging Congress to extend payroll tax cuts.

Obama had just begun his opening remarks to a crowd at a local high school, when a contingent of demonstrators called for a "mic check" -- a signature action of the movement that helps large groups of protesters hear the comments of one individual.

Get alerts before Link and Cramer make every trade

Protesters in the crowd then started to address the president, but other audience members immediately began to boo and chant. Obama smiled and waited for things to calm down."Oh, no, no, it's OK, it's OK, alright, OK, guys," Obama said as the audience overpowered the demonstrators and started to chant "O-bama! O-bama" in support of the president."I'm going to be talking about a whole range of things today and I appreciate you guys making your point," Obama said. "Let me go ahead and make mine, alright, and I'll listen to you, you listen to me, alright?""Families like yours, young people like the ones here today -- including the ones who were just chanting at me -- you're the reason I ran for office in the first place," Obama said, which elicited cheers from the crowd. >Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoeDeaux.

>To order reprints of this article, click here: Reprints

No comments:

Post a Comment